Typical and Ideal Behavior in Communicating

You are annoyed by a friends behavior.I will comment about it and keep my distance from that friend.I will try to understand the main cause of my friends annoyance.A family member is having trouble at work or school.I will articulate that inefficient teachers or unreasonable bosses are what may be causing the troubleI will ask the family members to explain why the problem has surfaced and see how I can help counteract it.A cashier gave you too much change back.I will keep the change because we are living in tough economic times.  Besides, it is the cashiers error.

I will return the excess change and keep what is only rightfully mine, and accept her expression of gratitude.You are falling way behind on a project for class or work. I will work late nights and not sleep until I try to finish the project, or try to request for a deadline extension. I will ask for help from team mates or office colleagues to get the project going faster and do my best to turn it in at the set deadline.You are visiting a close friend or relative and are having a terrible time. I will hurry and reason out that I have another important appointment to go to, then leave.I will try to look at the positive side and find a way to enjoy the company of that close friend or relative.You run into a former boygirlfriend at a party and she is with someone else.I will get jealous and express my annoyance verbally, maybe through a sarcastic remark, to my former boygirlfriend.I will stay calm, think in a mature manner, and try to engage my boygirlfriend in a civil  casual conversation and learn more about hisher companion.Your coworker is once again late for work. I will express disapproval by not smiling and sternly remind the co-worker that the company has rules that must be complied with.

I will inquire why my co-worker is habitually late and based on the reasons presented, will suggest concrete steps to help that co-worker avoid tardiness in the future.Your roommate is annoyed at you for not cleaning up enough. I will be annoyed as well with my roommate for not understanding that I have many other things to do.I will explain to my roommate that I will do my part in cleaning the room as soon as possible, and explain that I have been busy.Youve charged more on your credit card than you are able to pay. I will tear up the billing statement and vow not to use the credit car anymore.I will review my recent expenses and inform the customer service officer of my credit cards issuing bank  that I will settle the bill as soon as possible.You were driving too fast and a police officer gave you a warning. I will be displeased by the inconvenience but I will stop and try to wrangle my way out of the situation.I will speak with the police officer, explain why I was driving too fast, but acknowledge my oversight, then avoid making the same violation.Your clothes are feeling very tight lately. I will blame the fastfood industry for making me fat, and take the opportunity to buy new clothes.I will assess the reasons for my weight gain, and also take a look at the quality of the outfits then resolve to work out to lose excess weight.

Things learned from doing the exercise
I learned from the exercise that I have both an impulsive side and a rational, level-headed side.  The impulsive part of my personality will prompt me to do or say things I may later on regret.  On the other hand, my rational side will let me carefully assess things first before acting or uttering something.  The latter is more helpful for good interpersonal relations. One other important thing I learned is that in a communication situation, there are so many factors that the involved persons are dealing with, so it is best to try to take a look at things first from all angles before expressing something. Any communication exchange is situated in a social context that constrains the linguistic forms participants use. How these participants define the social situation, their perceptions of what others know, think and believe, and the claims they make about their own and others identities will affect the form and content of their acts of speaking (Krauss and Chiu 2). To cultivate the ideal self, it is important to strike a balance by allowing some time to think about a situation before acting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment