An Illustration of My Three Competencies in the Workforce

I hope to work in the engineering industry, and I understand that I will have to explain the areas in which I am competent and excel, and what differentiates me from other persons interviewing for the same job. I would like my employer to know that I am technically skilled, patient, and modest.
   
I have the competency of being technically skilled.  When I was in the military service, I used to handle electric power and be on the interface of military computer operations. I had always been interested in computers, but never had the opportunity to learn the skills involved. While I was in field training, I learned how electric power operates and how it can be harnessed to aid military divisions. I also learned about computer networking, and during our intense military training I connected the wires and cables on-site to set up the military computer network, and I used the network to set up the power supply in base camp. This experience led me to be confident about my technical skills.
   
I have the competency of patience. While I was in the military, there were some orders which we were at first unable to complete. However, I didnt let the fact that there was no immediate answer stop me from trying to carry out the order. I would always try to determine where the error was by methodically going over the steps we had to take, figuring out what did not work, and changing or taking out those elements which were impeding our progress. In this way, by utilizing patience, I was able to overcome the impulse to walk away from a problem, and instead use patience to work through it slowly and finally approach the completion of the order. Things which seemed impossible became possible when I had the patience to not give up just because they didnt work the first time.
   
Lastly, I have the competency of being modest. Although I am very proud to have been successful in my military endeavors, I never forget that there is no I in team. The military is a team, and I could not have done well if my crew, my fellows, and my colleagues had not supported me. In the end, we supported each other, and a job well done was done by all. If someone is conceited or arrogant, they will only disturb the unity of the team, and get in the way of the great ideas which develop when everyone contributes to solving problems. The modesty I learned from working on a team is a skill which helps me in life. I see that I am equal to my fellows, and that my success is not only mine, but also belongs to those around me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment