3. Select one song that seems to represent a particular culture within the United States. How is that culture being presented and what might this representation imply about the dynamics of about communicating with members of this culture (i.e. what does the song seem to be saying about how to communicate with that cultureco-culture)
In D Club
Go, go, go, go, go, goGo, shortyIts your birthdayWe gon party like its your birthdayWe gon sip Bacardi like its your birthdayAnd you know we dont give a fuckcause its not your birthdayChorus (2x)You can find me in the club, bottle full of bubLook mami i got the X ,if you into takin drugsIm into havin sex i aint into makin loveSo come give me a hug if you into getting rubbedVerseWhen I pull out up front, you see the Benz on dubsWhen I roll 20 deep, its 20 knives in the clubNiggas heard I fuck with Dre, now they wanna show me loveWhen you sell like Eminem, and the hoes they wanna fuck But homie aint nothing change hoes down, Gs upI see Xzibit in the Cut that nigga roll that weed upIf you watch how I move youll mistake me for a playa or pimpBeen hit wit a few shells but I dont walk wit a limp(Im ight)In the hood, In L.A, they saying 50 you hotThey like me, I want them to love me like they love PacBut holla in New York them niggasll tell ya im locoAnd the plan is to put the rap game in a choke holdIm full of focused man, my money on my mindI got a mill out the deal and Im still on the grindNow shorty said she feeling my style, she feeling my flowHer girlfriend wanna get bi and they ready to goChorus (2x)BridgeMy flow, my show brought me the doeThat bought me all my fancy things My crib, my cars, my clothes, my jewelsLook nigga i done came up and i aint change.VerseAnd you should love it, way more then you hate itNigga you mad I thought that youd be happy I made itIm that cat by the bar toasting to the good lifeYou that faggot ass nigga trying to pull me back rightWhen my jaws get to bumpin in the club its onI wink my eye at you bitch, if she smiles she goneIf the roof on fire, let the motherfucker burnIf you talking bout money homie, I aint concernedIm a tell you what Banks told me cause go head switch the style upIf the niggas hate then let em hate and watch the money pile upOr we go upside they head wit a bottle of bubThey know where we fuckin beChorus (2x)TalkingLaughing Dont try to act like you aint know where we been either nigga, but i lo chupe a junior yeahIn the club all the time nigga, its about to pop off niggaG-Unit 

     America is a land of liberty. The freedom of expression come undaunted in the American culture as this song generally reflects Americans inclination to sex, liquor and good times. It can be inferred that the freedom which Americans enjoy has been greatly revealed in songs and in their culture of leniency. Independence has given each and everyone the right to talk about anything and pour out emotions and thoughts on something which other cultures may find taboo like sex, drugs and liquor. The opportunity given to anyone to indulge in these taboos is a mirror reflecting Americas liberation and independence. On the lighter side, it gives a sense of responsibility that no matter what Americans indulge in, they stand firm for it. 
    The song also implies mans darker desires for money and luxury as given in the statement im into having sex, aint into making love,m y crib, my cars, my jewels I cant change. It is a redefinition of what a good life is supposed to be. In this world of global economic meltdown, life has gotten into another meaning and that is acquiring wealth and comfort.

4. Select one song that affronts, challenges, or might be offensive to a particular culture in the United States. What is the affront and what are the implications of this song in respect to communicating with members of this culture

Blackman Redemption lyrics by Bob MarleyWoy-a, Natty CongoA Dreadlock Congo IWoy-a, Natty CongoA Blackman Redemption Woy-yo, yo-oo-wo-ooA Blackman Redemption Woy-yo, wo-oo-wo-ooNo need - no need to get jumpyNo need and-a no need to get bumpy,And-a no need - and-a no need to get bumpyNo nee-nee-nee-nee-nee-nee-nee-need to get jumpyYouth and youth agree toCool runnings can you dig itCool runnings yeah, one more time A-beg yaCool runnings can you stop itCool runningsSpread out, spread out,Spread out, spread out.Tell you about the Blackman Redemption can you dig it (Oh, yeah)A Blackman Redemption can you stop itOh, no Oh, no Oh, noComing from the root of King DavidThrough to the line of Solomon,His Imperial Majesty is the Power of AuthoritySpread out, spread out,Spread out, spread out,Spread out, spread out,Spread, spread out.---Instrumental break---No need - no need - no need to get jumpy,And-a no need - and-a no need to walk away.Let me tell bout yaCool runnings, can you dig itCool runnings its one more time we want itCool runningsCool runningsSpread out, spread out,Spread out, spread out,Spread out. Spread out, spread out.Spread out, spread out.Its just-a Blackman RedemptionCan you dig it (wo-yeah) Good, Lord Good, Lord Good, LordBlackman Redemption, can you stop it Oh, no Oh, noBlackman redemption - fadeout


    This song generally reflects the painful rejection of black men in the society long time ago. Marley took the song as an opportunity to express how people should live in equality and unity. He stated this on the lines coming from the root of King David through the line of Solomon. This is a clear indication of Marleys desire to prove that black men are beings of good ancestry- the same ancestry which the whites claim to have belonged. Racism is a cultural challenge that has influenced literature especially the creation of songs. It is evident how Marley was able to express the blacks disagreement to cultural bias and inferiority.
Furthermore, the song is an embodiment of mans desire for freedom from the slavery of thoughts and emotions. Marley was able to use the lyrics to defy injustices against the Black signifying a remarkable event which according to him is unstoppable. This song definitely shows how man can get out of his own misery as long as he values himself and sees worth of his being. In its entire context, Marley is pushing for equality  that Black be given respect, love and sense of being as what others have long been enjoying.

0 comments:

Post a Comment